Thursday, February 3, 2011

Day #2. Waiheke.

0800.  Wide awake.  Starving.  Instant mashed potatoes and trail mix?  Sure, why not.

I'm sooooo very glad that I was staying on the 2nd floor of the Fat Camel hostel.  The 1st floor is right above their bar and it was loud down there.  As I was drifting into unconsciousness around 9:30 pm I heard a voice over the megaphone yelling, "Are we ready to party?!?!?!?!"  Guess the pub crawl was about to start!  Yay!  Several inhabitants of the hostel tried to convince me I needed to go to this, but the thought of banging heads at a local bar with these grungy, greasy, grimy backpackers was… well… unappealing.  I'll take a glass of vino on the harbor watching the sun set, thank you :)

The Argentinean girls and I enjoyed our free veggie curry dinner and headed to McDonald's and took advantage of the "free" wifi (courtesy of a McD's small diet sprite).  The girls in my dorm room were quiet.  Slept like a baby all night!!  9 hours.  Felt A-mazing.

Hopped on the ferry @ 0900 to Waiheke Island.  This place is glorious!!!!  Reminds me so much of Maui.  Serene, remote ocean… like heaven… peaceful and beautiful. The decision to cut a day off my stay in Auckland was definitely the right one.  I'm just not a city girl :(  Took a bus all the way to the other end of the island and booked my room for 2 nights at this amazing hostel called Kina - "sea urchin" in Maori.  Ocean view and 5 minute walk to the beach.  The gal running the front desk was super cheery and has the cutest baby ever named Caitlin who smiles ALL the time… so cute!  She says usually this place is always booked since Waiheke is such a popular wedding destination.  #1 most popular place in all New Zealand a/t a sweet old woman on the ferry.

I hiked up the road aways, just soaking in the sunshine and the breathtaking scenery.  Ended up at a winery called "Obsidian."  Since it was only 11 am, I, along with a couple from Wisconsin, had the whole place to ourselves.  It was 5 tastes for $5.  We tried the house Pinot Gris, Cab/Merlot, Syrah, Chardonnay, and Montepulciano.  Then we tasted the most delicious, smooth Syrah with a warm, smoky depth.  No wonder the syrah was so decadent, it was a fifty-five dolla bottle :)

Went to another winery called "Miro" and had lunch on their veranda.  Overlooking the vineyard and ocean, I enjoyed a glass of sauvignon blanc and hot toasted almonds with sea salt.  Next I ordered a nicoise salad that came with red pepper tapenade, fresh green beans, honey roasted kalamata olives, slivered red onions, baby potatoes, melt-in-your-mouth yellow fin tuna, and boiled duck eggs (suprisingly duck eggs were good… was skeptical).  The chef there literally astounded me with his culinary expertise.  I asked my server, what kind of vinegar did he use in the salad?  It tasted like creme brulee!  Of course it was 25-year aged balsamic.  Must find some of that when I get home.

After I finished the salad -- took me about an hour -- I ordered the bittersweet chocolate and orange zest stuffed prunes that had been baked in amaretti, served with berries, orange slices, and creme fraiche.  This took another hour for me to eat.  You have to understand, I was savoring every bite… enjoying every moment of that view.  Well, actually I was reading "The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest" and OMG I cannot believe Zalachenko got murdered in his hospital room!!!!!  Sorry if I ruined the book for you.  At any rate, the lunch I had at Miro Winery will for sure be on my list of top 10 meals EVER.  My "birthday" dinner in Bali at Casa Luna is one, and so is my 1st date spot with Rich @ 3rd Corner.  So being in the top 10 means it's gooooooood.  Alex, my server, is an Aussie who moved here with her boyfriend.  She said servers in Australia make $23/hr!  But they don't get tips.  She invited me to hang out with her tonight, so I think I shall.  After I eat my raman noodles, that is ;)

Got on the bus to explore more of the island and sat next to a very weathered, wiry, and spry little lady.  Told me she used to be a psychotherapist.  As we passed through the town of Oneroa, she pointed to a spot and said that her daughter worked at a "herbal" dispensary there.  I said, oh you mean weed, right?  "Yes dear, herbal."  Then she hopped off the bus and I saw her later at an organic market buying avocados.  She was something, I tell ya.

At any rate, this island is just my style.  

Plan:  Tomorrow I think I may rent a scooter and explore even more.  Stop freaking out Missy! :)  The roads here are pretty decent and not a lot of traffic.  And I'm actually walking on the correct side of the sidewalk now so that's a good sign.

Budget:  $8 bus ticket, $33 hostel, $8 wine tasting, $55 lunch (well worth it), $6 organic produce.  Slightly over-budget today… but then again, it's NZ dollars ;)

p.s.  I'm sitting across from the absolute cutest girl ever from Spain!!  She is adorable!  And she let me borrow her electric adaptor.  Forgot to get one of those.  All the kids at the hostel are just grand.

Wish you guys could see this view..….....

OUCH!  mosquitoes?????  ok, gotta go.

5 comments:

  1. Girl, you're making me so hungry!

    And you DID ruin that book for me, thank you very much...But not badly;) I figured he'd get knocked off soon anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WWHHHAAATT!!! Do you not remember my rules??!!! Rule Numero UNO: DO NOT, FOR ANY REASON, get on ANY scooter, moped or motorcycle. OMG!! You know Richard is having a heart attack right now?! OK, well maybe its just me but still?! Haha! Im just kidding honey:) Im sure you will be fine. Plus, Im sure the roads are much safer and in better shape than the ones in Bali- Just wear a helmet!

    Sounds pretty amazing over there- I can't wait to see pics.

    I was at work today and got super sad thinking that I wont see you there anymore:(( I almost starting crying :(
    i miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you made it safely to NZ and are having an enjoyable time and are avoiding the grungies. Do please, if you rent a scooter, rent a helmet as well (I just bought one for my ski trip with your uncle,) and just drive on by the wineries without stopping. (An accident or citation would ruin your trip.) My valentine is also tuned in to your blog, and relieved you arrived safely. Take care sweetheart.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Sounds like that island was amazing...so jealous, but glad you are taking in every moment. That food sounds spectacular and well-worth a 2 hr experience! ;) Yummmmm....

    Yes, please be careful on that scooter.

    I love reading of your adventures. Can't wait til the next recap! Love ya boo boo!!!

    ReplyDelete