Thursday, February 3, 2011

Day #1. Auckland.

Why did I pack so much dang stuff???  My feet are swollen and light purple from carrying my 3 (yes, 3) backpacks around Auckland all morning.

It all started at the Auckland airport help desk when a rude old Italian man cut in front of me and made me stand there 5 extra minutes with my backpack on.  At least the elderly, white-haired gentlemen who helped me find my bus had a sense of humor.  "Where ya headed?" he asked. "The Magic Bus office on Albert Street" I said.  "Why don't ya walk there missy? It's only 20 kilometers. Ya need to get used to carrying that pack." I was like really? That's like 1/2 a mile, right??  And he chuckled.  I guess I need to go back to school and learn metrics again.

Anyways.  So I found the Magic Bus office and an employee named Moana was a complete angel.  Together we made my entire NZ itinerary for the 25 days I will be here!!!!!  You guys have no idea what a relief that is, seeing as how I arrived with practically zero plan (per my usual traveling style).  But WOW do I have a plan now.

Oh, so back to the purple feet thing.  I walked like 10 blocks to my hostel, half of which was uphill.  Btw, not only do New Zealanders drive on the opposite side of the road, they walk on the opposite side of the side walk too.  Took me a few bumps and glares before I realized that.  (You were right Missy, I definitely would have killed myself the 1st day had I rented a car.)  Found my hostel: "Nomad's Fat Camel".  There are a zillion backpackers places around here, but I picked the one that has pool tables and a complimentary dinner :)  So far so good.  I have 2 lovely Argentinean girls as roomies.

Today I explored part of Auckland.  The city is beautiful.  Reminds me of London.  Lots of very dressed up people.  How the heck do these girls walk faster in their heels than I can in my flip flops?!  Strolled down to the harbor and booked my ferry ticket for tomorrow.  Stood in line behind a bunch of very robust, elderly foreign tourists.. from Germany perhaps?.. who had a difficult time deciding what they wanted and communicating that to the Subway attendant.  Ate my sub on a bench by the Ferry Terminal and watched a (homeless??) person march down the sidewalk dripping wet and wearing only a pair of red briefs.  Reminded me of OB.

Walked to the Sky Tower but didn't go up -- they charge an exorbitant fee for that.  Toured the Auckland University campus and it is delightful!  Lots of quaint, old buildings, and right next to the gorgeous Albert Park.  There are some unique fashion styles here.  And everyone smokes.  Even like 14 year old.  Or at least they look 14.  There are TONS of Asians.  I stopped at an internet cafe to check my Skype and soon discovered I was sitting in the middle of a WOW warzone.  Twenty or so pubescent Asian boys were very valiantly, loudly, and quite obnoxiously battling their unseen villains.  And hogging all the widescreen computers too!

Favorite part of the day… definitely Albert Park.  So green, so vivid!  Lots of flowers, ginormous trees with winding roots, fountains, lawns.  Spent some time there just sitting in the grass and reading my travel book.  Met another traveler who suggested I go to this Island called "Waiheke".  That is where I am going for the next 2 days!  Beautiful beaches.  Used to be a fav "secret" hippie spot, but now it's gotten a little more popular.  Def slathering on the SPF tomorrow… I'm already scorched -- must be closer to the equator or something.

I ate this incredible pancake today.  It was filled with potatoes and cheese, topped with chili sauce.  I swear, I've never tasted anything like it.  Only $3!

Walked all over creation trying to find Lora Kosinski and finally did get over to her hotel.  Deeennnnngggg… balla!!!  Sweet hotel.  Unfortunately she and her friends had already gone out.  So tonight I will take advantage of the free meal @ the "Fat Camel".  A little scared what it might be but it just might be better than Raman noodles!

To wrap this up, it has been a fantastic 1st day.  However, I sure wish someone were giving me a foot massage right about now..…… (Richard ;)

Plan: next 2 days on that island, then take the ferry back Sunday morning for another afternoon in Auckland before heading to Rotorua on Monday.

Todays budget: $14 AP shuttle, $3 water, $24 hostel, $5 sub, $5 s-bucks, $33 ferry ticket, $3 internet card, $3 pancake.  Great!  Under my $100/day budget.  We'll see how long that lasts :)

Goodnight... zzzZZzz

p.s. tried to post pics but in.....ter..net... is... s...l...o...w..


3 comments:

  1. I'm glad you arrived safely! Can't wait to see pictures when you can get them up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. SOOOOO Glad to hear from you Love! I have been thinking about you a lot and I can't wait to hear more about your adventures.
    Love you!
    missy

    ps- yes, I am very glad you did not rent a car:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heather!!! So glad to hear youre having a blast!!! Ba safe and have a great time. XOXO

    ReplyDelete