Friday, February 18, 2011

Day #16. Queenstown.

There exists a sport more terrifying than skydiving.  They call it "bungy jumping".  The 2nd longest jump in the world - "Nevis" - is located in Queenstown.  At 134 meters, it offers a huge adrenaline rush to those brave enough to try it.  I had my heart set on doing this jump.  However, on the way to Queenstown, we stopped at the "world's 1st bungy location" off of the Karawau Bridge.  It's a measly 43 meters :)  On a whim, I decided to do it there rather than Nevis cuz I realized I wouldn't have time to get out to Nevis.  And besides, the bridge and river were beautiful.  An added bonus is that they will even fix it to where you get dunked in the water during the jump.  I walked over all confident and stuff.  They hog-tied my legs.  I shuffled like a penguin to the edge of the "diving board".  

Then I panicked.  I really did.  They told me to wave at the camera but all I could do was yell, "I'm scared!!! I'm so freaking scared!!!!!"  My body was trembling!  I grabbed the guys shirt behind me and asked if I could go yet.  He looked really startled and took a step backwards… I think he thought I was gonna pull him off with me! hahaha.  They have harnesses on, don't worry.  He was like "Sure, whenever you want."  I had told him I did not want to get my head dunked in the river, just my hands.  He said he'd try, but that a lot of it was up to me.  If I jumped straight down I'd get really wet, but if I jumped out then it would be ok.  I let go of his shirt, put my arms up, and dove headfirst.  OMG it was the SCARIEST thing I have EVER done in my LIFE!!!!!!  I think I screamed for a second, but it felt more like I had burped and the burp was forced right back in.  My hands brushed the water.  Then it was over.  I was just swinging around, hanging upside-down, waiting for the guys in the boat to get me down.  Bungy jumping was absolutely terrifyingly incredible and I'm glad I did it, but after that experience let's just say I am so relieved I didn't do Nevis!!!  I probably would have backed out.  The adrenaline from that jump pumped through me for an hour and I was still trembling when I boarded the bus.

First thing I did in Queenstown was grab Rachel and head to Fergberger, the most famous burger joint in all of New Zealand.  This is why: they are gi-NORMOUS!  And loaded to overflowing with toppings.  Rachel got the classic cheeseburger, but I ordered a "Bun Ladin".  Crispy falafels, lemon yogurt, chipotle chili sauce, aoli, lettuce, tomato, cucumber, avocado, and red onion.  We grabbed about 50 napkins, some Cokes, and chowed down.  Incredible!

Earlier in the day when I was still in Wanaka, I had wandered around the town and discovered the most awesome little boutique called "Cherry".  I ended up buying a few things (Melly, stop saying "thank you!"), including my very 1st NZ-made clothing item.  Consider it my souvenir ;)  Then I sat and read the remaining chapters in my book at Relishes Cafe on the lakefront, sipping mineral water and snacking on their chips.  The chips were delicious, accompanied with roasted garlic aoli and cardamom-scented spiced tomato relish.  Can I just throw in here how much I love that NZ serves aoli with everything?!  Genius.  Then for lunch I had their fresh grilled sole with lemon, tomato slices, arugula, and a cucumber radish slaw.  I'm such a lush when it comes to food…. soooo good.  Not my usual attempting-to-keep-a-budget day of self control and PB&J.  But well worth it!

After dinner Rachel and I explored more of "Queenies" and had some drinks served in teapots… how unique!

Absolutely fantastic day.

Plan:  Milford Sound tomorrow

Budget:  $30 lunch, $150 clothing @ Cherry Boutique :D, $140 bungee, $26 hostel, $15 Fergberger & Coke, $5 internet… blew the budget out of the water today!  will have to start cutting back here shortly :)

1 comment: