Friday, January 9, 2015

Days #12, 13, & 14. Punta del Diablo, Uruguay.

3 days turned into 4. It easily could have been an entire summer. Punta del Diablo truly is Uruguay’s best kept secret. I literally was having so much fun from the minute I woke up until the second I went to bed, there wasn’t even any time to update the blog. Here is a summary of the last 3 days. Sorry if I ramble on too much, but there is SO MUCH to say about this treasure of a place!!!

Diablo Tranquilo Hostel. Located 10 min walk from “town” which is the main strip full of markets and greasy spoon restaurants that serve everything from pizza to chivitos (popular Uruguayan sandwich made of goat meat, ham, bacon, fried egg, cheese, etc. DID NOT TRY THIS… = heart attack. And eeew goat??). Also located 2 min walk to the main beach and a short bike ride from the more secluded/scenic Playa Grande. The staff are super friendly. My favorite is Danielle from Ashlan, Oregon. She visited this town last summer for a couple weeks, fell in love, and came back to work at the hostel for the summer. I asked her how she managed to pull that off, and she said she quit her job back home and moved in with her mom for a couple months to save money. Danielle is crazy tan and has a keen affinity for mate. They serve an optional dinner at the hostel every night for $10, but I never ate it because I ate at an amazing French place every single night – will talk about that later. The roommates: at first it was just me and 2 middle-aged ladies, one from Brazil who liked to keep to herself and put the only fan in the room directly pointing at her bed, and a sprightly little one from Germany who talked constantly in her high pitched voice. At first I didn’t like the German woman, because the first morning she spent an hour organizing her storage bin very loudly and stomping around at the ungodly hour of 10 am. But the last night, a bunch of us went out to dinner and invited her. She was actually really cool! She’s a teacher back in Germany and took the 4-month summer off to travel. I really admire her spirit of adventure and courage to explore South America on her own. The 2nd night, a beautiful 22 year old Aussie girl – Sophie – arrived and we hit it off smashingly. She’s been traveling 4 months also and will continue on until the money runs out. The stories she told me from Chile and Paraguay made me green with envy. The 3rd night a couple other girls joined, one of whom was a yoga teacher from New York. I don’t really know much about them, other then that the girl from New York got upset when one of the Uruguayans tried to steal her bottom bunk bed…. AND was sitting on it in her thong. Oh, and she was also constantly high, asked me the same questions over and over again, and was always on a mission to find weed. The last night I camped, and got obliterated by mosquitos. But it was worth it to be out in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by nature and nothing else!

Biking. I did some more exploring the 2nd morning on my gearless beach cruiser, which meant I pushed it up the hills and charged down them. Although a mountain bike would have been much better, I very much enjoyed seeing parts of the village that I wouldn’t have been able to get to on foot. Like I said before, the houses are mostly jewel-toned beach huts with thatched roofs. I kept my eye out for ones I liked to rent next summer when I come back ;)

Santa Theresa National Park. This is a rich wooded area full of brilliantly colored but loud parakeets that squak constantly. It’s gorgeous. The hostel offered a 3-hour horseback tour of the park that ended with a glass of wine for sunset on the beaches’ large sand dunes. I opted out of this since I had a horse for a while and it’s nothing new to me.

Playa Grande. Pristine beach that’s off the beaten path and not nearly as crowded as the main beach. There aren’t even any beach bars or anything. Locals bring their fishing poles and surfboards and just chill here. On one side are large sand dunes to climb up where you have pretty amazing views of the coast. I liked this beach so much I went back the 2nd day.

French Restaurant called “Aquarella”. They hooked my very first night with their perfectly grilled salmon, soft bread with olive oil, salad, and unbelievable cocktails. And for not much more than what it would cost to eat at the hostel! The restaurant was opened two weeks ago by 4 French guys who all know each other from when they worked restaurants in New York. Francois is the owner, Bibou the main chef, Nico the bartender, and another who does everything else in between and I for the life of me cannot remember his name. I had the salmon 2 nights, but also tried their local white fish with pesto, a bite of Sophie’s garlic prawns and salmon tartare, French fries with mushroom sauce, and onion lasagna made with fresh noodles from a local Italian place. Nico’s cocktails are ridiculously tasty and creative, featuring the freshest local ingredients: mint, ginger, melon, apple, basil, strawberry… Sophie and I joked that they were “peligroso” – dangerous! He says that in life there are no problems, only solutions. Brilliant, eh? So yea, ate there 3 nights in a row – always with at least a few friends from the hostel – and everyone always raved about the food. On Wednesday evening, they had a local swing band come in and play, which brought a huge crowd in. They were awesome!! Definitely was unique to listen to Uruguayan boys sing old tunes like “Dream a Little Dream of Me” in English, complete with trumpet, trombone, and violin!! After the show was over, the violinist and I jammed together for a bit. They gave me a CD which I’m stoked about.

Pink shack beach bar, main beach. Sophie and I went down to this little shack the 2nd night to watch the sunset and sip on caipirinhas. The couple who run the place are as sweet as the drinks they serve! They very patiently gave Sophie and I an impromptu Spanish lesson as we swung in the hammocks and enjoyed their delicious concoction of rum, sugar, and lime. They have the best deal in town too – 2 for 1oo pesos.

DJ Fernando. A local, in his 50’s, who totes an antiquated laptop and speakers around for his many gigs. They were right, he was terrible haha!!! We were joking about it at dinner one night, he’s not really a DJ. He just presses “stop”, “play”, and “next” buttons. But he is very beloved by everyone and is full of life and energy. He frequently leaves his “DJ booth” to dance with all the pretty young girls… but that doesn’t affect the music at all! It just keeps playing on without him :D One night he threw a party on the beach which was really fun. Well, it was fun until someone accidentally flung grapefruit soda on me. With a sticky face and half blinded eyes, I decided that the party for me was over and headed back to the hostel.

Live music on the beach. Every evening before sunset, a young group of Hawaiian-shirt-clad locals plays at one of the beach bars. I love the variety of instruments, even including a saxophone expertly played by a girl! The music is lively and entertaining – something you definitely don’t want to miss. There’s an old calico boxer dog who likes to stand in front of the stage or even random couples, barking at them. It does this every day.

Body surfing. You can rent surfboards, but the surf honestly isn’t that great for boards. It’s perfect, however, for body surfing. We would do this for hours, seeing who could go the farthest and throwing a few tricks in the mix. If you’ve never body surfed backwards, try it.

Mala Vida. The food truck and hippie hangout I visited my 1st day. I went there one more time, and ordered the same exact thing. It was just too good!! Victor said their French fry machine broke, and that had unfortunately deterred a lot of the all-night partiers returning to their hostels in the morning. People here looooove their fries.

The bus. The only reason I am mentioning my bus ride back to Montevideo, is because I said next to a lovely Uruguayan girl named Rosio, which means “dew”. She is a 26 year old school teacher with uncommon strawberry blonde curly hair who just moved in with her boyfriend 2 months ago. Most people don’t get married in Uruguay, she explained. It’s more of a common-law type thing. I had the best time talking with her! How lucky to sit next to someone fluent in English. She gave me a sort of culture tour. Factoid #1: I learned that education is free, even for outsiders. Factoid #2: kids start drinking mate when they are in high school, and by the time college arrives, every student will be sitting at their desk with the mate in hand – even the professor! Factoid #3: it’s not uncommon for people in their 20’s and early 30’s to live with parents, the same as Brazil. But if their 40 and still at home, something is wrong with them. We had a good laugh over this. Factoid #4: customer service for things like buses is terrible. No one would be receiving any refunds or vouchers for the bus breakdown. This isn’t a factoid, but I pointed out to her that Spanish-speaking people love to use the term “for example” when talking to me. It’s just kind of amusing to me, since they say it every other sentence. Rosio said she thinks it’s funny how we all say “like” so much. And then I caught myself saying that during the rest of our conversation and realized how much of a habit it’s become. I can see how it would sound weird to someone learning English, since it has nothing to do with the actual content of the sentence. The bus broke down 30 min from Montevideo, and we had to wait an hour for another to come get us. When the other bus finally did come, the 2 bus drivers were switching the luggage from the one bus to the other all by themselves. The mostly teenage crowd of passengers just stood there in the dark watching. “What’s up with this??” I asked Rosio. “Why is no one helping?” So we jumped in and started hauling suitcases. Within minutes a large group of strapping young lads pitched in and we were able to transfer all the luggage really quickly. A lot faster then the 2 bus drivers could have done it. See, it just takes one! I was starving so I made myself a peanut butter sandwich. Rosio couldn’t believe I had peanut butter – “Where did you find that??” she asked. I told her Buenos Aires, and she said that makes sense because you simply can’t buy it in Uruguay. Only dulce de leche.

And that, my friends, is my summary of Punta del Diablo. If you’re ever in Uruguay, skip the built up tourist trap Punta del Este and go straight to this beautiful quaint little beach town! 

No comments:

Post a Comment