Monday, January 5, 2015

Day #11. Punta del Diablo, Uruguay.

They were right. Punta del Diablo is the most stunning coastal area of Uruguay. The pristine beauty of this place is unreal.

Caught a 7 am bus out of Montevideo and slept the entire 4 hour ride. Except for halfway through at another pick-up station when a young boy shook my leg because I was all sprawled out in his seat. Took a breakfast break to eat the PB&J I packed. As long as you always carry around the ingredients for this classic sandwich, you will never ever go hungry. When you are out of money and the only ATM in town is broken, you’ll be sooo glad you have this in your backpack!

Ran into Jonathan at the bus stop and he looked a bit dazed and confused. He’d been up all night partying. Hadn’t slept since noon yesterday, he said, but was very excited to have saved the $$ on a room. Jonathan pointed me in the direction of town and said the hostels were about a 3 km walk down the road. Ordinarily, this wouldn’t be a problem. But remember, I don’t pack light, so this is a lot of work for me! About 2 km into my hike, I spotted a cute roadside oasis with vibrant flags and a brightly colored food truck/trailer displaying a tantalizing and affordable menu. I was tired, hungry, and about to have a heat stroke, so I stopped to have some refreshments and ask for directions. The young couple who ran the place were the cutest ever – Hannah from Germany and Victor from Italy. Their space was really inviting. There were pillows, bean bags, and tapestries everywhere. I ordered the veggie burger and a fresh juice, all for just 250 pesos ($10), which is a steal compared to Punta del Este’s ridiculous prices. The handmade burger, consisting of beat root and carrots, was beyond delicious – Hannah made it herself! The tasty patty was served on a huge whole wheat bun with lettuce & tomato. On the side were French fries made from a freshly cut potato and a beautiful salad topped with sesame and flax seeds. Hannah blended me an orange/mango/banana juice topped with coconut. I could eat here every day!!! And who knows… maybe I just will. They have only been open for 2 weeks, and the poor things are exhausted. They say they get no sleep because they are up until 3 am and have to be back to open for breakfast at 7 am. “We pay attention to every detail,” Victory explained. It shows. I gave them a 50 peso tip and told them to keep up the good work! They rented me a bike, which I mounted – me and my 3 backpacks – and careened up and down the roads for way too long in the roasting sun trying to find my hostel (rookie mistake… didn’t write down the address!)

After checking into “Diablo Tranquil” (which I hope it is and not a party hostel), I took Hannah’s recommendation and biked about a mile down the rode to another more secluded beach, Playa Grande. The thing that I love most about this area is that its coastline is unmarred by the silhouettes of high-rise hotels. There are no tourist trap restaurants. Like I said before, it is pristine. I spent hours lying on the beach and playing in the waves. Using all the words in my memory bank from Spanish 101, I struck up a “conversation” with a pretty, middle-aged topless Uruguayan woman. Sabina had a short brown pixie cut, oversized Jackie-O’esque red rimmed sunglasses, and bilateral nipple piercings. She offered me a hand-rolled cigarillo. I had to suck it down fast so it wouldn’t burn out…. Made me sooooo dizzy! It was really nice to be on that beach with no crowds and no noise. Wanted to stay longer, but I was already turning into a lobster.

Explored the village on my bike. It’s all dirt roads, and the bike is a beach cruiser with no gears. So riding up any incline whatsoever is a challenge! But I saw the neatest little wooden jewel box huts with thatched roofs everywhere… teal, magenta, blue, yellow. I came across a funky house with a cartoon clown face on it. Kept looking for this yoga/meditation/massage place Victor told me about but didn’t see it anywhere. I’ll keep looking manana. Manana is the word around here. Anytime you ask anyone to do something, they say “manana, manana”. Everything is “manana”. There is no concept of time.

I’m sitting here on one of the big white couches in the lobby, nursing my stinging sunburn and talking with some of the staff. Apparently DJ Fernando is spinning at a sister hostel on the beach tonight. “Is he any good?” I asked. “He is sheeeet!” they tell me, laughing. His transitions are terrible. But he is a local and everyone loves him. There is a lot of good food around here too – some of the best in the country – since international chefs like to set camp here in the summer. I want to check out this French place where they whip up items such as freshly caught fish and neopolitan crème brulee. Also, there is an awesome Italian place down the street where they make all their own pastas and sauces from scratch. Too bad I only have 3 days here!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment