Friday, December 26, 2014

Day #1. The Airport.

The problem with a fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants traveling style is that important details are sometimes missed. For instance, Brazil requires a tourist Visa that takes about 2 weeks to get in the states and several days to expedite in South America. So yea… that’s what I’ll be doing tomorrow. Oh! And Argentina charges a $160 reciprocity fee, which is another thing you typically do in advance so you can print the paper with the bar code. Again, I was caught off-guard and had to trek over to the Miami Airport hotel to do that last minute courtesy of their front desk staff ($20 cash fee for this service – ain’t their first rodeo!)

But hey! I’m here, my backpack made the connection, and I still have 3 more hours until my flight. There were some celebrities on the plane earlier. The entire Connecticut Warriors college basketball team. I sat next to a gangly freshmen who said his position was “left bench.” Are you serious?? I asked, and he said he was kind of joking but not really as he looked sheepishly at the coach nearby.  “Well, umm, at least you get to learn a lot!” I sputtered, trying to make the air less awkward.

Spread my Rio map out and did some quick reading through Lonely Planet Brazil. Marked a few things that I really want to check out. Told the freshmen left bench player that he should treat himself to a nice long backpacking trip when college is over. Gave him a few words of sagely advice, hehe poor guy. I am definitely not a travel expert, but here are a few things I’ve learned over the years.

Heather’s List of Travel Tips:
  • Travel books are a garnish, not the main course. They’re great for maps, tourist attraction highlights, and the nitty gritty stuff like transportation and exchange rates. But if you want to eat the best food in town or chill at the coolest hangout spots, ask the locals. They will never (rarely) steer you wrong. Talk to other travelers about their favorite adventures. You will discover some hidden treasures.
  • Itinerary shminerary. I like to think of itineraries as extremely rough drafts. As in, have a list of the places you absolutely MUST hit up and explore, but don’t plan too far ahead. If you have lots of expectations, when those things don’t work out it leaves you disappointed and frustrated. Whereas, if you are more flexible, those little “surprises” can actually be awesome. Stephanie Gilmore, 6x world champ surfer, said it right. “It’s not the person who surfs the wave perfectly who wins, it’s the one who has the most fun!” She said something like that.
  • Pack light. I never do this. But you should. It will make life easier.
  • Bring a backpack inside a backpack. So you can have more room to bring stuff home!! (You’re welcome Melissa!) Plus some of the souvenirs will be delicate and you’ll want to carry them on. I know this doesn’t really go along with what I just said previously. 
  • Try not to bring anything you are super attached to. In fact, pack a couple neat things you can use on the trip and then give away before you leave – like a rad hat. The locals will be stoked! Before you put an item in your bag, ask yourself, “If this gets lost or stolen, will it shatter my heart??” And if you still want to bring it, at least put it in your carry on. I put my spectacular new Mikoh bikini (designed by Kelly Slater’s girlfriend ;) in my carry on because I would be GUTTED if it got lost!!!
  • Bring a big bag full of instant oatmeal packets. Easy, filling, fast breakfast that can be garnished with fancy things to make it less monotonous. Saves you lots of $$$ by making meals for yourself. My favorite thing though, is that by the end of your trip your bag is 5# lighter and you have a hole to now fill with more STUFF to take home!!
  • Buy a super thin cheapy Campmor rainshell that is 1 size too big. This gives you enough room to wear a daypack under it. While the other tourists are inside buying umbrellas and drinking hot toddies, you are charging fearlessly on through the storm... sightseeing, scootering, hiking... and your gear stays toasty dry.
  • Sedate yourself. For loooooong flights, my favorite recipe is: 1 Ambien + 1 glass red wine = drooling on arm/pillow/neighbors’ shoulder for 6-8 hrs. Warning: when you’re starting to feel sleepy, do close your eyes and refrain from engaging the neighbor in conversation. You won’t remember any of it, but trust me, they will for years to come :D
  • Write. Keep a small bound notebook with you to jot things down in as you go. If you keep writing contact info and other stuff on a million different little receipts and papers, half of them will disappear. I lost Allistair's e-mail (my favorite NZ Magic Bus driver) because of this and that was just a shame :/
  • Bring a pillow. That is my most exorbitantly space-containing luxury. But I sleep so much better with it!!! Especially if you’re hostelling it where the pillows can be suspect. And it makes those 9+ hour international flights so much more bearable.
  • Throw 2 more pairs of underwear in the bag. Just do it. You can scrape by wearing shirts multiple times…. But NOT underwear. And I refuse to turn it inside out like some people do!! One-time use only.
  • Break the ice. Talk to people. Smile. Ask someone a question they’ve NEVER been asked before. Push yourself. Get out of your shell and comfort zone. Have an open mind. Don’t judge things that are different. Get to know people’s stories. These are some of the richest experiences you will ever have in your life. 

That’s all I have for now! Bon voyage!

Plan: arrive in BA around 11 am tomorrow. Unload at the hostel and go to the Brazilian Consulate to apply for a Visa.

No comments:

Post a Comment