Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Days #30, 31, & 32. Fiji (Beachcomber/Blue Lagoon).

Where to even begin.  As I write this blog, I sit in a squishy oversized beanbag, looking into the turquoise ocean waters, basking in soft sunshine, enjoying a nice breeze, sipping on a pina colada.  A good one too, with fresh pineapple and coconut cream.  This is the Blue Lagoon Resort, Yasawa Islands, Fiji.  Did I mention I was going to paradise?  Oh, and I'm also listening to the resort's revolving soundtrack which would include Black Eyed Peas "Good Night".  For the 3rd time in a half hour :)

Although it actually has rained every single day since I stepped off the plane in Nandi, at least half of each day has been drop dead gorgeous.

I started my island hopping venture with the "party resort" called Beachcomber (Beachcomber Island).  I heard this island was spectacular, and it was.  It is ridiculously small.  Not even as big as a football field.  When we were approaching Beachcomber I kept looking at it and thinking, "If there is a ripple in the sea this place will be swept away!"  So far, the waters surrounding the islands have been the epitome of calm.  I dodged an earthquake, hope to do the same with any tsunami that may be thinking of crashing the party.  There wasn't a whole lot of action going on when I got there.  Everyone was leaving as I arrived!  Did some snorkeling but had to quit after 15 minutes due to those pesky stinger things that attack me every time!!!  Did see some beautiful fish though, even an albino one.  And some blue starfish.  Played a little volleyball.  I'd say the best thing Beachcomber has going for them is their food.  NOTE: if you are trying to lose weight DO NOT go to Fiji.  They stuff you nearly to death!  Well… I guess I stuffed myself nearly to death as it was a buffet :)  Breakfast, lunch, dinner - heaps and heaps of Fijian delicacies: curries, stir fried veggies, kasava, eggplant chips, salads, rice, pan fried noodles, fish poached in coconut cream, sweet and sour meats, fresh baked breads, and fresh fruits and juices.  For dinner they even served bowls of vanilla ice cream topped with a cinnamon covered fried banana.

Like I said earlier, everyone seemed to vanish from the island once I arrived.  However, after lunch people started coming out of the woodwork.  There were a few middle aged couples, a family with young teenage kids, and then the 20-30 y.o. crowd.  About 40 of us total.  The room had such a good, fun vibe going.  I had met two very beautiful girls from San Francisco earlier that afternoon and we were having fun swapping traveling tales and stories from home.  After dinner Beachcomber put on a cultural show with music and dance.  Then they invited all of us to come up and learn the "Bula Dance".  Practically everyone was up and dancing.  So happy, not a care in the world.  There was a Bula dance off.  Which I won ;)  Fun evening.  Not so fun trying to sleep.  I was in a 30-bed dorm, lights off, a handful of other girls trying to sleep also.  Around 2 am four German girls came in and engaged in conversation as if there was absolutely no one else around.  I couldn't believe it!!!  In my entire 5 weeks of travel, I have never had people be so rude before.  It was obvious girls were asleep, it was really late, and there they were in their beds talking loudly about something very exciting, I'm sure.  So yea, slept like crap that night. 

I've been at Blue Lagoon Resort (Nacula Island) the past 2 days which is so much nicer in terms of facilities.  It's definitely the 5-star resort of the Yasawas.  I'm in a 10-bed dorm with pretty good roomies (except the old man from Holland who snores soooo loud!!!  And coughs, sneezes, and clears his throat intermittently).  There are cute garden villas, hammocks, and a long white sand beach.  Nice showers with warm water.  A-la-carte lunch and amazing dinner prepared by a Fijian chef.  Last night was tapas: gazpacho, grilled eggplant bruschetta, garlic and coconut steamed mussels, beef satay, chicken lettuce wraps, veggie kabobs, savory mini pumpkin pies (delish!), Mediterranean salad, and margarita pizza.  The chef made me a special grilled fish skewer in place of the mussels and meats.  Very accommodating!  Dessert was by far the best thing I've had in ages.  Fresh pineapple slices with chocolate rum balls rolled in coconut and topped with the richest, warmest, most delicious of chocolate sauces.

It was "Metro Night" last night, which consisted of hanging a huge white sheet between 2 coconut trees and playing a reel of the most cheesy music videos from the 80's.  "Can't Touch This".  Classic.  Then the one with the white guy who can't dance crooning something about never gonna give you up never gonna let you down never gonna make you cry… yea that one, and the video where the girls are dressed like prisoners and they're singing, "I'm guilty of love in the 1st degree!"  Really?  How did people get away with that stuff back then?!  The 40+'ers were absolutely loving it!  Singing along and shaking some boot-ay.  They were contagious.  By the end of it everyone, including me, was dancing :)

Today I had a really nice time sunbathing, eating, playing vball, talking to new friends, and reading a new book I bought in Sydney for a small fortune.  Tonight is movie night.  Tomorrow I'm stoked to take a boat ride out to some caves which definitely need to be explored.  Then around noon I depart for the next Yasawa destination which is yet to be determined.

Plan:  continue Yasawa Island hopping
Budget: 

Fiji day #3 (Beachcomber Resort) - $400 island hopping "Bula Pass", $25 additional resort charge, $5 delicious fruity frozen drink, $12 internet ($4/15 min - awful!!), $4 coconut lotion, $15 other
Fiji day #4 (Blue Lagoon Resort) - $25 additional resort charge, $6 internet
Fiji day #5 (Blue Lagoon resort) - $25 additional resort charge, $25 cave trip, $6 fresh pineapple pina colada

No comments:

Post a Comment